Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mainstream


Today we took our five youngest children to Target. Bakugan figures were on clearance, so I promised one (or the equivalent cash value) to everyone who helped me with some undesirable chores. Rich came along to help because it always takes time for each child to choose his or her heart's desire. Multiple times during the trip, we got irritated glances or wide-eyed stares from other shoppers. In the past when this happens, I am always tempted to casually mention the three children who are still in school, just for the shock value. Today, what I really wanted to announce to each one of the questioning fellow shoppers was that our family is actually quite mainstream.

You might wonder how a family with eight children in California could possibly be mainstream. Well, I read an article the other day about the Duggar Family, a family from Arkansas who had their 19th baby in December. Reading the article made me curious to see the TV show about them that I have heard so much about. Since we don't have cable, I had to hunt down episodes on You Tube. I have to say, first, that they seem to be unusually exceptional parents. I admire how committed they are to their faith and how willing they are to share personal family experiences, in a hope to inspire others. That said, I had a complete paradigm shift when I watched their show.

Often, I have sat in church or gone places with our family and felt so different than other people. We homeschool some of our children. We have lots of children. We still want more children. Because of the large number of people in our family, we can't practically do the same things that other, smaller families can do, like eating out or going on expensive vacations or having our children participate in multiple activities all the time. But taking a look into the life of a family with nineteen children made me look at our life very differently. For instance, we dress like most people we know. We go to school. We go to church. We go to college. We dance and date and even think it's okay to kiss before you are married. Sure, we drive a 15-passenger van, but it doesn't take a used Pro-Hockey tour bus to drive our whole family somewhere. I sat in church the Sunday after I had watched those Duggar shows and looked around. You know,I thought to myself, we are pretty much the same as everyone else. We just have a couple more kids.

So the next time someone stares at us open-mouthed when we are in public, or the next time my neighbor rolls her eyes as she moves a scooter off her lawn to my driveway, maybe I'll shout out with a wink, "Hey, at least there are only 10 of us, not 21!"

It feels good to be mainstream.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Kids are so worth it, aren't they? No amount of embarrassment or irritation or annoyance can override what they bring to our lives. Let people stare, if they must. Kids are so wonderful.

Afton said...

I think I would just say, "Take a picture, it will last longer." Gee whiz! It is sad that a loving mom and dad raising a family of children is such an anomaly these days that you get stares. Maybe you could just turn and smile and say, "It's child labor...for the farm."

Jeri Pettingill said...

My friend Athelia used to say, "We really wanted 12 sons and five daughters."

Our Family said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I haven't had people be so openly rude in a while, so I guess I'm not used to it anymore. ; )

Whitney said...

Yah, people always give the impression that homeschoolers or kids from big families are weird. They're wrong. Obviously, I mean look at us;) I do enjoy telling people I want 6 kids though. I think I might up my number just for the reaction lol. Some people are just so narrow minded.