Saturday, December 27, 2008

Perspective is everything

Last night, as I sat in the temple, what really matters came into sharper focus for me. When you think about the grand scheme of where we came from and where we are going, suddenly the little details like spots on the carpet or drawing on the walls, or my weight or whether we have just the right clothes for church can be seen for what they really are--insignificant and unimportant. I love the quote by Elder Packer that I put on the blog today. What really matters to is nurture children and people. What really deserves my time and attention are the things that will make a difference in the future. I have a hard time with this. My natural inclination, which I follow too often, is to get all the work done before I slow down and take the time to really meet needs. The problem is that the work never ends. I think that is doing things in the wrong order. Love first, then do the work with whatever time is left. I think that is what it means to be a well of affection rather than a fountain. It means allowing children to draw upon our love when they need it rather than when it is convenient for us. One of my favorite literary quotes is from Les Miserables. Jean Val Jean says, "Love each other dearly always. There is scarcely anything in life that matters than that--to love one another."

3 comments:

Jeanette said...

This is a beautiful thought. I love your insight about the well vs. the fountain. Also, the Les Mis. quote is beautiful!

Our Family said...

That idea is from a quote from the Mary Engelbreit Motherhood book.

Amy Beatty said...

Oh man, this just pulls at my heart strings! I'm always feeling sad that I don't give my kids enough time and love because I'm too busy cleaning up after breakfast, then making lunch, then cleaning up and then its dinner and clean up time again. And now I'm left here sitting at the computer wondering -Did I give them enough loves?, I should have played hungry hippos with Bella when she asked., Would it have killed my to read that library book for the 5th time today? I made them go get a new book and they never came back. I really can't stand how quick they are growing up. Bella starts school this year and it will be just me and O at home. Makes me so depressed. I should call you and see how you get into home school. That could help me for a good couple years. Love you. Thank you for being so open and honest- i love it!