Monday, December 1, 2008

To laugh or to cry: that is the question!

It can be hard to find a secret closet around here. One day, when I was at my wits end, I snuck into my bedroom closet for a little pity party by myself while Rich had the kids picking up the house. Within one minute, someone tried to open the door. "Who's in there?!" the child shouted. I was quiet. "Who's in there?!" the child shouted again while trying to force the door open. "Someone's in there." I heard the first child tell someone else. The door began to open again. It caught on my feet and stopped. The child pushed and pushed. "I can't get it open! Who's in there?!" I said nothing and waited. I heard the child walk away. I breathed a sigh of relief and settled in to the quiet. The quiet lasted about 30 seconds. The door opened just a little and someone dropped something into the laundry hamper. Then the door closed. It opened again. More clothes dropped into the hamper. This happened about ten times before I finally gave up, chuckling. I headed back out to be with the family again, giving up on the pity party.

Sometimes we get to sneak away and cry. Other times we have to pull ourselves up by the boot straps, forget the crying and try to laugh. I like what Marjorie Pay Hinckley said. “The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache."

No comments: