Monday, March 23, 2009

From a talk I read today entitled Celestial Marriage by Elder Russell M. Nelson, given in Oct. 2008 General Conference:

Each marriage starts with two built-in handicaps. It involves two imperfect people. Happiness can come to them only through their earnest effort...That effort will succeed if each partner will minimize personal demands and maximize actions of loving selflessness...Harmony in marriage comes only when one esteeems the welfare of his or her spouse among the highest of priorities.

This comes naturally to Rich. I confess that, on the best day, Rich's needs usually only make it to number 9 on my list of priorities, and on a bad day, he's lucky to make it to number 10. This morning, I realized that many of my complaints and challenges in life would fade away if I spent more time forgetting my own "selfish demands" and focused more on making his welfare one of my "highest priorities." I am going to work on that.

1 comment:

Wendi said...

Thanks for that reminder. I need to work on that too. :)