Wednesday, April 1, 2009

True parenting

I am reading a great book by a speaker I heard in a BYU Devotional Forum called Authentic Happiness by Dr. Martin E. P. Seligman. Here is a quote from the book that gave me all kinds of food for thought on what parenting is all about. It is in the context of a story he tells when he is crabbing at his five year old daughter. She informs him that she had to learn not to whine when she was little and that it was the hardest thing she had ever done. She said that if she could learn not to be whiny, he could learn not to be a grouch. He realized she was right. But he also learned something significant about influencing people. He says:

I realized that raising Nikki was not about correcting her shortcomings. She could do that herself. Rather, my purpose in raising her was to nurture this precocious strength she had displayed...and help her mold her life around it. Such a strength, fully grown, would be a buffer against her weaknesses and against the storms of life that would inevitably come her way. Raising children, I knew now, was far more than just fixing what was wrong with them. It was about identifying and amplifying their strengths and virtues, and helping them find the niches where they can live these positive traits to the fullest.

I think this perfectly describes the kind of influence used by our loving Father in Heaven. Focus on the good and on the big picture, amplify positive traits, lift up, encourage, support, strengthen, guide and direct, love, only finding fault when absolutely necessary.

4 comments:

Afton said...

Only when absolutely necessary, huh?

This is a good reminder. I have a feeling this will be only more and more important to remember.

Jeri Pettingill said...

I loved this. It is so much more cheerful as well as effective to build on our strengths rather than dwell on our weaknesses. And it is even more important when we are dealing with other people.

Our Family said...

You will see with teenagers, Afton, that they don't take kindly to harping or nagging. My big goal right now is to be nice when I don't feel like it and to ignore the things that bug me. Otherwise, I think all I would do is point out them out! ; )

Wendi said...

Thanks for sharing what you're learning. This is great counsel. :)