Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The power of love

We traveled to the coast last week for one last family vacation before Jacob leaves on his mission.  As we drove over the mountain pass that is the last stretch before reaching the little town of Fort Bragg, I was reminded about how green and plush it becomes the closer you get to the coast.  On this particular drive, the change is dramatic.  You come up over a mountain pass and descend into a forest of pine trees.  The effects of the ocean moisture are almost immediate, and the side of the road is full of a great variety of plants.  The picture I am posting just shows a bit of how the plants go crazy along the coast.  It seems like just about anything can flourish by the coast (and does!)

More than once, the Spirit has gently taught me that love has this same effect on human life.  Almost anything can flourish (and will!) when living in an environment filled with love.  Sometimes I wonder what I can do to have the greatest effect on my children, and on the lives of those around me.  As I drove along the coast last week, looking at the abundance of plants and amazing flowers, I could almost hear a voice in my head say, "Love your children. Love your husband. Love others. "

This reminds me of my favorite quote from the book Les Miserables. It comes at the end when Jean Valjean is saying goodbye.  He tells Marius and Cosette, " Love each other dearly always.  There is scarcely anything else in the world but that: to love one another."

That goes deep into my heart and I know it is true.  There is scarcely anything else in the world but to love one another.  Nothing else works long term but love.  Nothing else lasts.  Nothing else brings about true change.  Love involves patience, long suffering, gentleness, unselfishness, kindness, lots and lots of time, biting the tongue, giving the benefit of the doubt, mercy, humility, a sense of humor and not taking things too seriously.  It involves seeking the Holy Ghost for guidance as to how to act, rather than relying on self.

I loved driving along the coast remembering this.  I know this is how my Heavenly Father and my Savior treat me.  Oh, if I could just remember it when I am hungry or tired or hormonal or it's been a long day!

1 comment:

Jeri Pettingill said...

Beautiful words and so true.