Thursday, March 24, 2011

Pennies in your pocket


I read a great idea yesterday in a magazine. The author was discussing the need to be more positive to children than negative, especially when noticing their character strenghts. He recognized that it is much easier to scold children for what they are not doing than to commend them for what they are doing. That is the truth at our house!

So he suggested putting 10 pennies in one pocket. Then you move a penny to the other pocket every time you give a child a sincere compliment. The goal would be to move all ten pennies to the other pocket by the end of the day.

Isn't that a great idea?

Of course, since we have 8 children, I would have 80 pennies in my pocket!

I love this ideas because it is such a tangible way to remember to praise. I also love it because I want to develop the habit of catching my children being good, but I forget from day to day.

So my plan is to put a pile of pennies in my pocket and see how many sincere compliments I can give each day.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Excellent idea! I have been having trouble with this very thing lately and have been struggling to find a way to remember. Thank you, thank you!

Painting Tips and Tricks said...

This is such a great site! I like the way you set this up! Great content and images as well! Thanks for sharing this!...Daniel