Monday, January 25, 2010

Striking a blow for freedoom

Yesterday, I got a kind comment from a friend, wondering why I don't post on this blog more. I pondered it last night. There are lots of reasons, the main one of which I will discuss in another post. However, I thought for a long time about why I don't make posting on here more of a priority. I started this blog because there are constantly so many things I learn everyday about life and about parenting that I wanted to keep a record of them for my children, especially my daughters. Then maybe they will have something to encourage them later on when they are going through some of the same things. That seems like a pretty noble cause, worthy of some time and effort on my part, I think.

So, for whatever the reasons, I got away from writing down all those inspiring thoughts. Part of the problem is that I was raised by a mother--a mother of two children, by the way--who would never relax until after the work was done. The problem with following that rule in my life is that, if I waited until the work was done, I would never be able to relax. The work is literally never done around here. When I told Rich about the friend's comment while laying in bed last night, he miraculously responded (instead of being sound asleep like usual), saying that she could read his blog. He writes a trader's blog five days a week, and he never misses a post. You can read the blog here. I never do because, frankly, I have no idea what he is talking about. In fact, I tried to post a comment once just to be supportive, but it is hard to comment on something when you have no idea what it means, and I felt dumb saying "Great work, dear!" or "Very insightful, honey," knowing my lack of knowledge would be pretty transparent. At least 49 other people read him daily, though, and they seem to appreciate what he says, or at least feel the need to disagree, because his phone is constantly buzzing with this comment or that after he posts each day. Anyway...my point here is that he doesn't wait for the work to be done before posting his blog every night--and I speak from experience here. So if he makes writing about something as temporary as the stock market such a priority, shouldn't I make writing down inspiration for posterity at least as much of a priority? I think so!

So I am striking a blow for freedom here. I am giving myself permission to write even when the work isn't done. In fact, for this very first post, the dishes remain undone and I wrote anyway. So there!

6 comments:

Rich said...

Very insightful, honey ;-)

Natalie said...

Yay! I'm so glad you're going to stick with it! I better sign up as a follower.

Hizzeather said...

bah ha ha Rich...nice comment.

Good for you for making yourself a priority!

Afton said...

You're back!
(good one Rich!)

Our Family said...

Isn't my husband a funny guy? Love it! Afton, I have been meaning to tell you that I post more on our family blog than on this one (although maybe that will change...) Anyway, here is the link, in case you don't have it.
http://pettingillfamily-eightisgreat.blogspot.com/

Jeri Pettingill said...

I think you are both insightful but I only read Khristine's blog and look forward to more frequent posts. Plus - a blog post lasts lots longer than doing dishes.