Monday, February 16, 2009

A little time alone + a good night's sleep = appreciation

Rich and I went away to San Francisco for one night while a good (and brave) friend babysat our family. We had such a wonderful time together, and I am posting some pictures and details on our family blog. This weekend helped me to see a couple of things differently.

First, I love being with my husband alone. When we are alone, we can talk without being interrupted. We can hold hands and sit next to each other without someone plopping themselves right in between us. Everything is more fun with Rich, including walking around in the rain on a cold night, eating at a little city diner, and even laying around in our pajamas and reading separate books. However, as I watched the other people in the city shopping or sitting alone or dressed in perfect corporate-world outfits, I felt deeply how grateful I was to have such a fun, busy, full life with so many great people in it to go home to. I love my life and all the little (and big) people in it that demand so much of my time. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Second, I am grateful to be able to take care of all these people. I spoke last night for a long time with a friend who has had life-threatening complications after the birth of her last baby. She has five children about the same age as our five youngest. Because of her health problems, she cannot even lift her baby, who is 10 months old. She mostly can only care for herself and help with only the simplest needs of her family. What a blessing that, although it is a lot of work to take care of this big group, I am strong and healthy and able to do it.

Life is good.

3 comments:

Rich said...

I'd second that! I'm grateful that she is strong and able to take care of this family too!

Wendi said...

Sounds like a great time. I'm happy for you--even though I don't know you in real life. I also appreciate being healthy enough to take care of my family and am even more thankful for a husband who goes above and beyond the call regularly. :)

Jenni said...

Ditto! It's so important to take time together as a couple. It sure refreshes our outlook and makes you appreciate you blessings (children) more.